Statistics regarding officer fatalities from 2012, outline where additional safety precautions are needed for law enforcement members on the job.
- 54 officers were killed while dealing with felonies.
- The largest number of fatalities occurred while officers were responding to circumstances that would lead to arrest – like arrests on warrants.
- The vast majority of officers killed were male, and about half were under the age of 35.
- 80 percent of officer deaths were at the hand of a gun.
- Officer deaths occurred at all times of the day.
- The average age of assailants that murdered law enforcement officers was 31. Most assailants were male.
- A greater number of officer murders occurred in the Southern US states.
By remaining aware of these statistics, law enforcement officers and their departments can take additional steps to put safety first.