With the recent call to actions for violence against law enforcement officers and public officials, we want to bring to your attention some steps you can take to minimize your social media footprint.
1. Remove or block any online information that might reference you as a law enforcement officer.
2. Remove or block any online information that might reference you socially, your spouse, your children, and/or your relatives.
3. Remove or hide online photos of you on the job.
4. Any postings in internet forums should be limited to the agency you are associated with. Any identifying information such as an email or phone number should not be viewable.
5. Limit access of your social media sites to only those people you trust.
6. If you own real estate property, contact your county assessor’s office to have your information blocked.
The more you can limit a person or groups targeting capability, the harder it is for them to find you online.