For years, the number of female police officers has been slow to increase versus their male counter parts. However, now, agencies are making a concerted effort to increase their sworn demographics.
Here tips for recruiting female officers:
- Ensure equity
- Decrease the emphasis on military preference.
- Rethink shifts and reliance on “full-time” officers:
- Change start and ending times and consider job sharing and part-time.
- Implement strong policies against harassment and ensure there are strong policies prohibiting discrimination.
- Create policies that support those raising children:
- Allow nursing mothers – especially those on patrol – flexibility in their schedules to accommodate expressing breast milk in designated spaces.
- Recruit at non-traditional events/locations
- Participate in women and minority law enforcement associations
A department that is trying to create opportunities will want to set an example and do everything in its power to help women feel welcomed from all cultures.
[Police Magazine – June 2022]