If you are going to be traveling for the holidays or even later on this year, don’t advertise your vacation! Do it afterwards. People don’t need to know your every move. It’s okay to share your trip later. Here are a few other security basics you should be aware of for the holidays and beyond:
• Alert your neighbors! Let someone know that you are going to be out of town. Exchange phone numbers and ask them to keep an eye out on your house.
• Hire a house sitter. Someone who can check in on your house once a day.
• Test your alarm. Make sure all systems are working. Also make sure your cameras are working properly and facing the right direction.
Here are some things you can do to deter burglars:
- Lock your doors and windows. May seem obvious, but a lot of people forget to check.
- Set an alarm and make sure your doorbell camera is secure and working.
- Don’t have packages delivered during this time. This will only invite potential thieves.
- Make sure it looks like someone is still home. Meaning, leave some lights on or put some lights on timers, so that they come on at the same time every day.
- Leave a radio on. They play music and talk, so it’s a great deterrent.
- Motion lights are also a great thing to put up.
- Trim your bushes. You don’t want to give anyone a place to hide.
Whether you are staying home or traveling, protecting your loved ones should always be the number one priority. Crimes can happen any time.